PJSC ArcelorMittal Kriviy Rih continues construction of coke oven batteries No. 5 and 6 complex. Currently, active construction work at coke oven battery No. 5 is in progress: coke machines are being installed, the chimney has been constructed to level + 41.5 meters, main steel structures of dust free coke pushing plant collector have been installed, brickwork of coke oven battery has been completed to zone No. 2 – inclined flues. Before preparation to the commissioning, drying and heating operations will be performed.
In parallel, in July new COB No. 6 reached the design coking period. Coke is produced using new blend stamping technology.
Total amount of ArcelorMittal investment in the project of COB No. 6 was $128 million and including its twin COB No. 5 would be ca. $170 million. Additional production of in-house coke and coke oven gas is the main target of this investment project, which will allow decreasing the volume of purchased coke and natural gas. Expected benefit of the project is production of 6% humidity coke in the volume of 1060 thousand tons per year for blast furnaces of PJSC ArcelorMittal Kriviy Rih. Within the project of construction of COB No. 5 and 6 numerous environmental actions were implemented as well, due to that air pollutant emissions are expected to be decreased by 1.6 thousand tons per year.
Environment actions within the construction project of Coke oven batteries No. 5-6:
– construction of dust free coke pushing plant with reaching emissions not more than 50 mg/cubic meter;
– construction of new gas cleaning in Crushing Division of Coal Preparation Shop and Coke Screening Division of Coke Shop;
– using gas-proof coke oven doors of improved design with flexible sealing frames, which reduce gassing probability to minimum;
– nitrogen-proofing of standpipes covers and standpipe flares in order to maximum reduce emissions on the top of coke oven batteries No. 5-6;
– enhanced design of the brickwork and armoring of the ovens to exclude the probability of raw coke oven gas crossflow from the chamber to the oven walls. This will allow minimizing emissions of combustion products through the chimney of coke oven batteries.
The project on construction of Coke Oven Batteries No. 5-6 at Coke Plant is a key one within the large-scale investment program of PJSC ArcelorMittal Kriviy Rih. Total investment amount at PJSC ArcelorMittal Kriviy Rih by 2020 comprises $1.2-1.5 billion. (AMKR/Ukrainian metal)