PJSC ArcelorMittal Kriviy Rih has completed almost all capital repairs of aspiration systems and GCPs planned for 2018. Vladislav Bashinskiy, Director of Central Repair and Maintenance Department (CRMD), described the most large-scale repairs.
– First of all, please, tell us how the plant determines, which environmental facilities require repair?
– For this purpose a system of planned inspections and diagnostics of all the equipment that affects the environment was created at PJSC ArcelorMittal Kriviy Rih. The diagnostics is performed in each shop, it allows defining equipment or separate units that require repair. The shops send us indents and we make up a plan of capital and current repairs for a year.
– What if something breaks down in the course of a year – what do you do in such cases?
– We react immediately, because repairs related to environment are the priority for us. We can even postpone a repair in some other shops and transfer people, if required. But I would like to note that in most cases this means not force majeure circumstances, but common working issues. For instance, an exhauster starts working inefficiently in aspiration system or during the walkover, and the specialists detect failure in operation of dust removal mechanisms – in such cases we fix everything on-site. Together with the shops, the specialists from Environment Protection Department monitor the facilities. They continuously track all the emission indexes, established by legislation, and inform us about failures. Therefore, in most cases we respond to their hints in advance to avoid the stoppage of gas cleaning machine or aspiration system. Our target is unchangeable – to maintain facilities in operable condition and to repair them in time.
– What have you managed to do this year?
– The most labor-intensive works were performed at Sinter Plant that, as is well known, had the major impact on environment in comparison with other divisions. The first thing we did was the capital repair of sinter strand No. 1 at SP-1. We fixed mechanical equipment, restored integrity of gas path, replaced vacuum chambers, dust bags. And what is the most important, we replaced multicyclone, containing 540 cyclones. A multicyclone cleans gas that is generated during sintering process. All 540 pieces were replaced that cost the plant UAH 7.3 million. Similar work on process gas-cleaning system is done by contractors at sinter strand No. 5 of Sinter Shop of Steel Plant. Here in the course of a year we were “treating” stacks. Particular attention was paid to chimney flues cleaning – underground part with much deposits. Now exhaust and draught units “breathe” easier. Recently we have finished the works on Blast Furnace No. 7: we have done complete inspection and repair of electric filters and aspiration system of stock house. The latest, by the way, was badly needed for creation of comfort air environment in the working zone. After all, this is the place where the blast furnace is charged with sinter and coke.
– What about other shops?
– In BOF Shop we continuously monitor condition of GCPs of the first and the second blocks of converters. We repair them during relining of facilities or process pauses. For example this year we performed capital repair of GCP of BOF No. 3, which cost about UAH 14.5 million. In November we will replace lower hood at BOF No. 5. Also, this year we have performed the works on GCPs of THF No. 6 and continuous casting division (existing CCM). On top of that, we have repaired air ducts of heating furnace of Section Rolling Shop No. 1 that allows us to dispose of all waste gases. We have also fixed the stack at the Process Shop of Coke Plant – all these works are under completion and cost us UAH 6.2 million. As of date, the major part of capital repairs of more than ten facilities that affect environment, has been finished. From UAN 47.7 million that were planned for this year, UAH 41.4 million have been already spent, not so much is left.
– Are we correct in understanding that the amount spent for implementation of all environmental actions at the plant is much higher?
– Correct, now we are talking about existing operating equipment. It should be maintained in operable condition not to exceed the emission regulations, and for the facilities to work in accordance with rated operational characteristics. All this is controlled by us and Environmental Protection Department. Also, there are capital investments that include construction of new facilities and reconstruction of existing ones. The total costs of the plant for environment in 8 months amount almost to 400 million UAH, of which 315 million are for capital construction, and 68 million for repairs and maintenance (it is for the facilities both of Steel Plant and Mining Department). And that is as of date. It is clear that by the end of the year, these amounts will have been even higher. In general, the facilities that affect environment are extremely important for the plant employees and the whole city and they are under special control by the management of PJSC ArcelorMittal Kriviy Rih.
– Do you have enough human and financial resources, considering the scopes?
– We have enough people and money. There is no such situation when, for instance, we need to repair filters but there is a collapse. We are able to perform all required repairs related to aspiration systems and GCPs at the plant. We have high-skilled personnel, there are no problems. Current repairs, as a rule, are covered by own forces. But we involve contractors to perform capital repairs – mainly, these are Kriviy Rih companies, which perform the works in a qualitative manner and thanks to our orders, they have possibility to create jobs. In general, much depends on the type and complexity of work. In any case, we can do everything and can influence any situation.
– The last question. To what extent are the repairs of environmental-affecting facilities interrelated with the production technology?
– The most units are interrelated in a very direct way. I will bring you the example of sinter strand. The gas path is its integral part. So, if sintering process runs good, the disposal of all combustion products to the gas path will be qualitative: all the dust will deposit in multicyclone and will not get into the air. The similar situation is with converters that simply will not work if GCPs are decommissioned. Indeed, there should be mandatory disposal of heat by-products. Therefore, our repairs allow ensuring reliability of operation of not just the environmental equipment, but also, the whole unit. (AMKR/Ukrainian metal)
Your advertisement under each post on this site. DETAILS